Only three years ago John Daly was just an upstart from Cork, Ireland, whose raw and ready tunes on his own Feel Music made small waves. These days each highly anticipated Daly release (and there are a lot of them) rocks the boat, as his dubbed out grooves for Francois K’s Wave Music, IRR, Plak and Drumpoet Community become fixtures of many house and techno DJs’ sets. The effortlessness of his inviting and varied productions have well earned the crate space. In kind, we wanted to hear what’s pulling its weight in Mr. Daly’s crates, and thus was born our exclusive 19th podcast. Moving from hypnotic deep-house to interstellar disco and future primitive techno, Daly’s set speaks louder than his tight-lipped interview. Strap on your headphones and absorb what the man has to say.
LWE Podcast 19: John Daly (60:05)
01. Frankie Flowerz, “Break the Barriers” (John Daly remix) [Internasjonal]
02. Ray Valioso, “Groove Memories” [Real Soon]
03. Open House ft. Pace, “Seven Day Weekend” (Motor City mix) [Tu Rong]
04. The Beat Broker, “My Way Or the Highway” [Flexx]
05. DJ Koze, “I Want to Seep” [International Records Recordings]
06. Odessa, “Sketch” [Disco Praline]
07. Tako, “Flotation Dance” [Ambassador’s Reception]
08. Brendon Moeller, “Ignition” [Apnea]
09. René Et Gaston, “Pouah! Ours Savant Edit” [a.r.t.less]
10. Saturn V, “Locomotion” [Nation]
11. Creepy Autograph, “The Gray Mans Theme” [Valentine Connexion Records]
12. Lerosa, “Circadia” [Millions of Moments]
13. Unknown artist, “Beyond Jupiter” [Moxie]
When and where did you make the mix?
John Daly: Last December in my bedroom.
What’s the concept behind the mix?
No concept, just music I like.
Who are a few of your favorite DJs and why?
Most of my favourite DJs wouldn’t be names people would really know, guys I would have played with back in the day, that kind of thing.
You sure you wouldn’t want to mention them anyways?
Yeah, OK: Graham Payne, the man who taught me everything I know about real house music, Chilli Philpott, Rico Heffernan, and of course the One Eye, my partner in Feel Music.
What can we expect from you for the rest of the year?
Got some things in the pipeline at the moment.